Monday, May 28, 2012

Brighton Belle - Sara Sheridan

As Britain huddles under the grey mantle of post-war austerity, broken-hearted ex-Secret Service employee Mirabelle Bevan moves into semi-retirement in Brighton. But intriguing details keep intruding on Mirabelle's lonely existence and it isn't long before she's asking dangerous people difficult questions and challenging the mysterious shadows of World War II that begin to rock her new life.
Not terrible, but nothing spectacular either. I'm not really sure what to say about this book. It had its interesting moments, but overall it just wasn't there. In reading, you feel like you are just skimming the surface of what could possibly been a much more fascinating story. The book failed to envelope me.

The premise of the book was quite intriguing, all the ins and outs of it. But at times I found it a bit confusing.

I must applaud Sheridan's writing style, as it absolutely thrusts you into the 1950s. It can be difficult to get the tone of an era across in this manner, but Sheridan has achieved it well.

Mirabelle and Vesta were definitely redeeming aspects of the story. These women were simply wonderful characters. I truly enjoyed them.

Overall, if a friend asked me about this book I'd reply with a shrug and a "Yeah I guess you might like it. Maybe."

No comments:

Post a Comment